Bi-cultural education (two-way teaching & learning)
Indigenous Catholic Community Schools provide an educational program that is based on the philosophy of two-way teaching and learning programs that:
- acknowledge the culture of both the home and the school
- reinforce the teaching and learning relationship between the elders and the younger members of the community
- promote engagement with the local community
- recognise the importance of Indigenous languages and knowledge in the curriculum.
The implementation of this philosophy may include the use of a bilingual/biliteracy program.
Study of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander languages & cultures
To support our Indigenous students in strengthening their unique identity as Indigenous Australians and to assist them in gaining a deeper understanding and appreciation of their histories and cultures, we support the inclusion of:
- Australian curriculum Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures content and perspectives in all learning areas
- Indigenous language and culture programs where requested by a school community.